Do Not Ignore Your Children’s Feelings
It is important to mention the Children’s Bill of Rights during or before a divorce involving children. The issues discussed here are ones that parents often need to be reminded of. When divorced or separated, remember not to make them feel like pawns and refrain from forcing them to get involved in grown-up issues. It is important to remember that kids are people too.
- For the sake of a child’s education, their daily routine, and to help them better associate with family and friends, parents should always remember that children deserve the following:
- The right not to be asked or expected to choose sides or be put in a position where they have to take one parent’s side over the other.
- The right not to be asked questions by one parent about the other.
- The right to ample visitation with the non-custodial parent which will best serve my needs and wishes.
- The right to be treated as a person and not as a pawn or negotiating chip.
- The right to expect consistent parenting.
- The right to expect healthy relationship.
- The right to express my feelings.
- The right to freely and privately communicate with both parents.
- The right to have what is in my best interest protected at all times.
- The right to love and have a relationship with both parents equally, without feeling guilty.
- The right to maintain my status as a child and not be expected to take on adult responsibilities.
- The right to not be a messenger or go between.
- The right to not hear either parent say anything bad about one another.
- The right to request my parents seek appropriate emotional and social support for me and them when needed.
- The right to educational opportunities and economic support.
Call Our Family Law Lawyers For Help
If you have questions about how the law protects your relationship with your children, call us at (219) 472-8391 or (574) 707-8675. Offering a high level of personal service, our Northwest Indiana child custody attorneys at our law firm are accessible and available by phone or email. After-hours and weekend appointments are available.
Offices of Moseley & Martinez, LLC
8002 Utah St. Merrillville, IN 46410
South Bend Office:
115 N William St. - Suite 101 South Bend, IN 46601