Fathers’ Rights Lawyer

Custody Agreement Attorney

In marriage, the law presumes that any child born to your wife also belongs to you. However, if you are not married at the time of birth, you do not have any rights to your child until you are listed on his or her birth certificate; sign a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity; or until a judge legally says you are the father (through a paternity hearing). If you think you are the father of a child and you are looking to assert your rights you need the help of an experienced lawyer. Our attorneys can help.

Our fathers’ rights lawyers help fathers understand their best course of legal action.

Fathers, You Have Rights and Responsibilities

Fathers have the right to pursue custody or have visitation time with their child or children. If you are an unmarried father, you might have to go through some extra steps to get access to your child.

In pursuing your rights it is important to know that you may have the following rights and obligations:

  • You have a right to an attorney
  • You have the right to a hearing on paternity and custody
  • You have the right to a DNA test
  • If the DNA test is positive, you have the right to sign a Voluntary Acknowledgment of Paternity (VAP)
  • You have the same rights with regard to child custody as the mother
  • You have the same rights of custody and visitation

You may have an obligation to help pay the following:

  • Child support
  • Educational expenses, beginning with day care expenses
  • Health insurance
  • Uncovered medical, dental and optometric expenses

What Obligations as a Father do I Have Under the Law?

If you are the father of a child you have a number of obligations and privileges under the law. A paternity action will address a number of different fathers’ rights. It will determine whether a man is the father of a child. Second, it will address custody, visitation and support of that child. In your paternity action, we will help you include these issues in the paperwork and have them addressed to the court so that you can address your custody and visitation rights with your child.

Contact a Fathers’ Rights Attorney for an Initial Consultation

If you have questions about how Indiana family law may affect you and your family, talk with us. Contact the Law Offices of Moseley & Martinez, LLC at (219) 472-8391 or (574) 707-8675. Offering a high level of personal service, our northern Indiana family law lawyers are accessible and available by phone or email. After-hours and weekend appointments are available.

Free Consultations

Office Locations

Offices of Moseley & Martinez, LLC
Merrillville Office:

8002 Utah St. Merrillville, IN 46410



South Bend Office:

115 N William St. - Suite 101 South Bend, IN 46601




The Law Offices of Moseley & Martinez, LLC serves clients throughout northern Indiana including Lake County, St. Joseph County, Porter County, Elkhart County, LaPorte County, South Bend, Merrillville, Mishawaka, Granger, Elkhart, Goshen, Dunlap, Middlebury, Nappanee, LaPorte, Michigan City, Westville, Crown Point, Cedar Lake, St. John, Schererville, Hobart, Lake Station, Gary, Highland, Griffith, Munster, Hammond, Hebron, East Chicago, Lowell, Portage, Valparaiso, Chesterton, Plymouth, Knox and the surrounding towns areas and counties.

We are a debt-relief agency helping our clients file for bankruptcy under the U.S. Bankruptcy Code. **Other fees apply.

LEGAL DISCLAIMER: The materials and information contained on this website are for informational purposes ONLY and should not be considered legal advice and are not intended to create, and receipt of it does not constitute or create, an attorney-client relationship between our firm or its attorneys with any reader or recipient of this information.